Wednesday, June 24, 2009

1st day at ministry site :)

So... (don't you love it that I start most of my blog posts with "so..." :) ) our students started their ministry sties this week!! Yeehaw!! Finally the hands on stuff, the getting messy for the Gospel stuff!! Love it!!

Staff goes with the different groups of students at least two days a week to the different ministry sites. So, this week I went with a group of students to a place called By the Hand - Kids Club. It is an area youth program run out of a local church. It is a year-long program with more intense programming in the summer to keep the kids busy. It was sooo much fun!! We played games with the kids, helped them with their reading, did a devotional/shared the Gospel, and played some more!! The kids in this program go from K-8. What a blessing to be their and be able to interact with such beautiful children of God!!

Here's some pics! :)

This is me and Iris! Isn't she beautiful!?!?


There she is again! I love her smile! She is 8 years old!! :)


This is Kenneth working on his reading with one of our students, Emily. He was not too thrilled to work on reading in the summer!


During our free time, the girls love to braid hair!! So, Iris was working on my hair! You need to have a tough scalp, that's for sure! They're not messin' around! Don't I look beautiful though??

This is me and Kayla!! Isn't she adorable!!?? Such a little lover!! :) Got my fill of lovins from her!!

Here's some of our little guys! They're trying to look tough - but don't let them fool you, there sweet as ever! ;)

Couple of the kids working on one of our student's hair, Ashley!! Yes, even boys can do hair! :)


They loved taking our cameras and taking pictures of each other and being able to see them on the screens right away!! Sooo cute!! That is Daniel holding the camera! He's a tiny little thing! I wish you could have seen his smile!! :)


One of the older kids showing us her mad skills with the carrots!! :)


This was one of the amazing pieces of art hanging in the hallway of this youth center! I love this!! I think it is so beautiful the cross against the rainbow!! What a great reminder of God's incredible love through the promises He gives us!!
So... yeah! I can't wait to go back to the sites this week! I feel sooo alive being in this community, getting to know God's people, and having the gift and freedom to tell others about how much God loves them!! Wow!!
Love ya'll!! :)









1 comment:

  1. hey steph!!! i miss you friend!!!!!!!! anyway, i literally laughed out loud when you were commenting on the girls doing your hair and how you had to have a 'tough scalp'! SO TRUE! YIKES! i can totally relate after haiti, those girls weren't messing around either! :) seriously needed a little ibuprofen & a scalp massage after the fact!
    i can't wait for you to get home! and we get to live together! yea! i'm excited for the fun times! wish i could've been with you & kristy this past weekend, hope you guys had a great time! and in response to your text msg. we will DEFINITELY have to spend a weekend in chi-town this fall! :)
    love ya!
    j

    ReplyDelete